Ways to Get Out of the Doldrums and Get Back to Positive Thinking

Those who know me, know that I am a very positive person who likes to spend my time focusing on the good.


Lately, there have been some events and situations that have left my mind unsettled.  Whether it be student behaviors, negative conversations or facing difficult obstacles. Before I know it, I find myself in a funk focusing on negative thoughts and in a bad mood. As a reflective person, I am quick to recognize that I need to turn things around and take action to get back to focusing on the good.

Here are a few things that help me to get back into a positive mood.

1.  Podcasts from Positive People -- I've been listening to podcasts on my commute. This week I've listened to Cult of Pedagogy, The Danger of Teacher Nostalgia,  from Jennifer Gonzalez.  The timing of this episode was perfect. It was just want I needed to hear.  I also love listening to any episode from Awesome with Alison anytime I need to laugh or feel empowered. Another podcast that I frequently listen to is The Rise Podcast by Rachel Hollis. This one is like having a personal life coach. I always feel encouraged and in a better mindset after listening to one of these episodes.

2.  Choose an Upbeat Book --This week I had started to listen to We Were the Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter. The book is a true story about a Jewish family separated at the start of World War II. But I soon realized that the timing of this book is not what I need right now. So I decided to put it on hold and instead I began listening to Girl Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis. Oh My Goodness, this book is so refreshing, affirming and funny!! I actually started laughing out loud as I was listening in my car. That felt good!

3. Music - I play music that puts me in a good mood. Lately I've been playing this soundtrack on repeat.  I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm hoping to soon. Another soundtrack that I find uplifting and motivating is this one. I did see this movie not too long ago and I thought it was one of the best movies I had watched in years. There's something magical that happens when I listen to music while I work or drive. 

4.  Mindful of My Mindset - By stopping and reflecting on my mindset throughout the day, I am able to stop negative thoughts from overtaking my day.  I keep reminding myself to stay in the present, try to be better than I was yesterday and find the good in any situation.  I also try to surround myself with like minded people who are upbeat and fun to be around.

5.  Social media - There is plenty of negative news and posts on the Internet, but there is also an amazing amount of good. I find that by looking for examples to celebrate and applaud students and teachers for the great things they share is so rewarding and up lifting. Check out these examples from the district I teach in as well as the past districts I've taught in. 






Do you have any strategies to turn your thinking around when you find yourself in the doldrums? I'd love to hear your ideas. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Concrete Poetry Sites - This Is So Much Fun!

Vote for Your Favorite Bookmarking Site