Links and Loves February 4, 2022

Happy February everyone! I love LOVE and always look forward to this month. Spring is on it's way! Here are some February tech backgrounds for you. 

February is also Black History Month. Here is a useful collection of the best websites to teach and learn about African-American History from Larry Ferlazzo. 

I learned a nifty little trick from a fellow tech guru and I have to share it with all of you.  Did you know that Google Maps lets you adjust zoom with just one finger?  The shortcut is simple, just double-tap the maps interface, but instead of lifting your finger after the second tap, you leave it touching the screen. Then swipe up to zoom out and swipe down to zoom in. Now I can say goodbye to awkwardly holding the phone while trying to use two fingers to reposition the map while also trying to hold the dog leash or my shopping bags. By the way, this also works on Apple Maps. Often these little shortcuts make my day!


The site Take Me Back To allows you to see what the world was like at a certain date in history. The results will show who was president and what music was popular. There are also movies, magazine and book charts as well as advertisements. The farthest back you can search is 1900.  There is also an option to click and see a random day in history. 

Our youth apprentice and I are exploring the Micro:bit circuit board to see what we can create. These pocket-sized computers have an LED light display, buttons, sensors and many input/output features. While I'm choosing to use block coding, he is coding with Java script.  I look forward to the day when every high school student gets the opportunity to experience computer science and circuitry such as the Micro:bit.



I saw this on Instagram and I immediately started wondering what our high school students would say for "If I make this" statements. Would you take on this challenge with your students?



 
This is one of my favorite new people to follow on Instagram.  Not that I am much of a chef. I haven't even made one of these recipes yet, but I love watching this 22 year old when she prepares a dish. Her videos are entertaining and she has an interesting way of styling her recipes to look wholesome yet fancy.  Yet, she doesn't use any expensive or fancy equipment. Just her iPhone and kitchen accessories.  Another interesting fact about this young lady is that one of her many siblings is on the Olympic Team USA for snowboarding and will be competing this year. So much talent in one family!
 
Thank you for reading this post. I hope I've inspired you in some way.  Cheers to the weekend. Maybe I'll finally cook one of HalfBakedHarvest's recipes or maybe I'll find time to read some of my latest book. It's a real thriller! I'm for sure going to watch some of the Olympics and think about Spring and baseball! 

Take care of yourselves,
Deb



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Concrete Poetry Sites - This Is So Much Fun!

Vote for Your Favorite Bookmarking Site