Can You Use These Math Tools?

Lately I've been on a mission to incorporate more tools for my math students to use in our math lessons.  Here are a few that I'm thinking about.

Click here for my favorite math manipulative site from McGraw Hill:


I love that there are backgrounds for pretty much any math concept I'm teaching.  I really like that students can print their pages.  Choosing your grade level makes finding the right manipulative much easier.

Here are two sites that are simple and easy to use for making your own graphs.  

Even very young students can create a bar graph using the Grapher.  Every part of the graph is able to be changed to meet your data.


Create a Graph allows for more options and has tabs to click to create your graph.  I like that students can preview their graph and go back and make changes if things don't look right.  I also like that students can download or email their graph when they are done.



Choose from 1, 2, or 3 dice.  Touch the dice to roll.  I can think of a way to incorporate dice in almost every math lesson I teach. Sometimes I have students use the dice to create math computation problems for the topic we are learning. I have also used dice to choose whose turn it is to solve a problem on the Smart Board.  Dice can also be used to have students play many different types of games.  Mathwire and Scholastic have multiple dice games for students.




Finally, I think it's important to allow students to have fun and be challenged with unique math concepts.  For example, The Eyeballing Game is a unique site that challenges students to see how well they can eyeball correcting geometric shapes.  I found this kind of fun myself.  I like how the results show my inaccuracy and also the correct answer.  It's amazing how hard students will work to earn a few minutes of class time on a fun site like this one.  (And I don't feel one bit guilty allowing this time since the students are still learning!)

Do you have a math tool or site that you incorporate into your math lessons?  I'd love to hear about it.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Concrete Poetry Sites - This Is So Much Fun!

Vote for Your Favorite Bookmarking Site