TIES - What I Learned


This past week I attended the TIES technology conference in Minneapolis, MN.  Here are some highlights:


Social Networking -is finding it's way into classrooms.
  • Schoology is a combination of an LMS and a social network.  I really want to look into this!
  • Edmodo is safe for students. I've dabbled in this a bit.



    Social Bookmarking -is growing at a rapid pace.
    •  Scoop.it is a visually appealing and easy way to bookmark and share.  I have been using Scoop.it for quite a while now and I love it!  Click here to see my Scoop.it for sharing technology.  Click here to see my Scoop.it for sharing Friday Fun.


       Online learning is really the wave of the future!
      • Moodle - I've used this and I love it!
      • Haiku - Google recently launched this LMS.  It looks promising and I would like to give this a try!




      SAMR is a model for technology integration.
       
      • I listened to a speaker named Jennifer MagieraShe is a teacher in the Chicago Public Schools with 1 to 1 iPads who uses the SMAR model.  

      • Important message- if you're not uncomfortable integrating technology, you're not doing your job!

      • My goal is to Redefine how technology is used by our students.  I have seen teachers simply hand an iPad to a student and let them just play on it.  That is just substitution with no functional use.  I have moved beyond this.


         And , last but not least, some Web 2.0 tools:

        • Zite - A personalized magazine that gets smarter as you use it.
        • Screen Chomp -Free App.  A simple doodling board.  Just - Record It. Sketch It. Share It. - to create a sharable, replay-able video that tells your story clearly.  We have this on our iPads and it works great!
        • Evernote - Capture everything and access it from anywhere.
        • Linoit  -lino is a free sticky & canvas service that requires nothing but a Web browser.
        • Willyou.typewith.me - just share the link and type!  No email, registration needed!  Type your name and choose your color to be recognized.
        • Class Dojo  - a classroom behavior management tool.  Improve student behavior and engagement by awarding and recording real-time feedback.  Really cute avatars and projects well onto the Smart board.
        • Time toast - Timetoast is a great way to share the past, or even the future... Creating a timeline takes minutes, it's as simple as can be.
        • Google Art Project -Explore museums from around the world, discover and view hundreds of artworks at incredible zoom levels, and even create and share your own collection of masterpieces.
        There were tons more web 2.0 tools mentioned in various presentations. I just picked a few that interested me.

        If you would like to view more of the resources shared at TIES, just click here for the TIES wiki!

          Comments

          Anonymous said…
          Deb,

          You are a rock star. Love your posts! Hope your Christmas was lovely.


          Jen

          Popular posts from this blog

          Concrete Poetry Sites - This Is So Much Fun!

          Buncee Can Be Used in Many Ways - Presentations, Blended Learning or a Student Showcase