QR Code Voice



QR codes are so much fun for my students.  We have created QR codes several times already this year.  My students enjoy generating the codes, scanning the codes and exploring sites with the QR codes. 


If you aren't familiar with QR codes, click here to read about them.


Today I'd like to tell you about a site called QR Voice.  This site is really neat.  It uses text-to-speech to make a QR code.  First you type in text (up to 100 characters maximum).  Then you slide a circle on a bar to choose the size for your QR code and then you generate your code.





The result is an automated voice recording of your text.  The voice is a little mechanical, but easy to understand.  We will use Quick Mark and our web cams to scan and read our QR codes since most of my students don't have cell phones.  


The iPad 2 or an iPod Touch with a camera can also scan QR codes. You just need to install a scanning app such as Scanlife (it is free).  I encourage my students to bring in their iPad, iPod, or smart phone if they have one.  The last time we used QR codes I had 3 students bring in a device.  


Here is a QR code I generated using QR voice.  If you have a smart phone with an app that can scan QR codes, go ahead and listen to my message.  I use the app Scanlife on my cell phone.  





I plan to use QR voice with my students to create a voice message.  We might answer questions about our story we're reading or send a holiday message to our friends and family.  I can think of a lot of ways to incorporate this fun site!

Comments

I was creating some games and activities for my first graders by using QR codes I created with QR voice. As I was finishing up, I decided to go back through my games and scan each item again to proofread my work before I printed it out for use. After I scanned a few, I received a security message requesting I enter the words and/or letters to prove I wasn't a robot. The message said that unusual activity had been detected on my computer. I was totally bummed because I knew this would frustrate my six year olds. I began searching for an answer on the computer. I haven't come across any information that answers this question, but that is how I came across your blog. I'm hoping you can help me. Have you seen this problem? Do you have any advice? How can I use QR voice codes without my students typing in a code to prove they aren't a robot.
Anonymous said…
Hi O FISH ally,
What app are you using to scan the qr codes? Perhaps using a different app to scan the qr codes made with QR voice will solve the problem?

Popular posts from this blog

Concrete Poetry Sites - This Is So Much Fun!

A Personal Story - My Healthy Journey of 2015