Thursday, October 16, 2014

Add Tech to that Boring Lesson and Engage your Students!


If you are finding yourself teaching the same lesson year after year with the same materials and teaching style; then it's time to add some new technology and spice up that boring lesson.  It's refreshing and motivating for students to see a teacher using new instructional strategies and materials in a lesson.

Here are a bunch of ideas:

1)  Involve the students - Use an online poll or backchannel to interact with your students during your lesson. This gives every student a voice and builds character and understanding amongst peers. 

a.  Poll Everywhere

b.  Tally.tl - Click here for my blog post.

c.  Today's Meet

d.  Padlet

e.  Geddit - Click here for my blog post.

2)  Student Choice -Allow your students to show their learning with these choices. Giving students a say in how they show their knowledge is empowering.

a.  Mindmapping with Slatebox or Bubbl.us- Click here for my blog post

b.  Create a visualization with Canva or Buncee or Smore - Click here for my blog post

c.  Create an infographic with Easel.ly - Click here for my blog post

d.  Use this simple drawing site


3)  Use a video - There are many choices of adding media to your lesson. Students today live in a media rich environment driven by videos. Tap into their learning style.

a.  Educanon - Click here for my blog post

b.  Teachem - Click here for my blog post

c.  Lesson Paths, Blendspace, HapYak - Click here for my blog post 

4)  Add some game elements to your lesson - Gamification can add so much enjoyment and engagement to your lessons. Students find games to be motivational and rewarding. 

a. Kahoot.it - Click here for my blog post

b.  BrainRush - Create your own games or use the thousands that are available

c.  Zondle - Click here for my blog post

d.  FlipQuiz  or eQuizShow - Jeopardy style review games.

5)  Use any of the amazing tools on Classtools.net!! Whenever I am in need of some tech inspiration and ideas, I often will visit this site for some help. Putting a little time into planning an interactive activity will go a long way with student learning.







No comments: