Spreading the Sunshine

This blog post is about a blog-style chain letter.  Usually if I get a chain letter, I wouldn't bother replying.  But this is a BLOG-STYLE chain letter.  That makes it totally up my alley!


I received the chain letter from my friend Judy Artz whom I know through Twitter and because, in the past, she and her students have helped post on our students' Kidblogs.  Judy was kind enough to choose me as well as 21 other bloggers to honor with this "Spreading the Sunshine" Award.  Click here to see Judy's Spreading the Sunshine blogpost.

So to continue with the blog-style chain letter I must share with you 11 random facts and then answer 11 questions from Judy.  I will also need to choose the next 11 bloggers to continue the letter and write questions for them to answer.


So without further adieu, here are 11 random (and surprising) facts about me:

1.  My parents both worked at the elementary school that I attended when I was young.  My mom was the food supervisor in the cafeteria and my dad was the custodian.
Credits

2.  I took cold lunch every day even though my mom was the baker and head cook at school.  Why?  I was a very picky eater.  This has changed now that I am an adult.
Credits


3.  In high school I earned the perfect attendance award for having never missed one day of high school.  No, this is not an award that earns you popularity.  But it does show my love of education and being in the classroom.
Credits


4.  My first time taking my driver's ed. test to get my license I actually hit a car (ok it was just a slight tap).  Today I am one of the most cautious and careful drivers on the road.  


5.  I first started out as a business major in college.  I still love the business aspect of education and perhaps someday will pursue having a business of my own.


6.  Those of you who know me know that I once waited on Jon Bon Jovi in Oshkosh, WI at a restaurant called The Charcoal Pit II.  This is a story that I often share with my close friends.  It really happened.  I promise.
Credits

7.  The year I started teaching, I got braces on my teeth.  It was one of the most important purchases I made with that first year's salary.


8.  My husband is a Chicago Bears fan and I am a Green Bay Packers fan.  Yet, I still married him.

9.   My husband and I met in a bar called "Cheers".  And this is surprising because. . . 




10.  The year I started teaching, my mom gave me a plant.  I still have the plant and whenever I mentor a new teacher, I give them a snip off that plant.  I've lost count of how many teachers now have part of my plant, but I do know that this is symbolic in many ways.


11.  No matter what is happening in my life or what troubles I may be having, when the students come to school in the morning and our day starts, all of my troubles or worries go away until the end of the day.  




And now to answer the questions from Judy:

Q:   What teachers inspired you and why?
A:   I loved teachers.  I loved school.  All teachers inspired me because I admired them.  I wanted to be like them.  Thank you Mr. Mackin, Mrs. Emmrick, Mrs. Hady, and Mr. Gregg.  You smiled often, loved your jobs and showed me compassion and understanding.  


Q:  If you could change your college major, what would it be and why?
A:  I would have changed to a business major.  I wanted to be a leader and because money doesn't 

Q:  What is the best part about being a connected educator and how do you stay connected?
A:   The best part of connecting with others is that when we surround ourselves with people who are different from us, we become better educated and more well rounded.  When we surround ourselves with people who are similar to us, we become inspired and motivated.  Name a social network and I'm on it.  

Q:  If you could make one significant change that would shift the course of education, what would it be?
A:  I would want to lower the cost of higher education.  My own education has been limited because of the fact that I would have to go into debt in order to further my education.

Q:  What are your favorite tech tools and why?
A:  My favorites tend to change often.  Right now, today,  my favorite tech tool is Google Glasses - I'm challenged by how to use them in a way that will change education.  

Q:  What do you do to escape?
A:  Go to the water.  With my husband and kids.



Q:  What fields/careers would you recommend to young people today?
A:  Do what you are passionate about.  Find what makes you content and happy.  When your heart leads you, your job won't feel like work, it will feel like a life that you love.

Q:  If you could live your life as another person, from history or living today, who would you choose and why?
A:  I would like to be Naomi Harm for a day.  I admire her tremendously and would love to step in her shoes.  I would love to be Cameron Diaz for a day.  Secretly I've always wanted to be an actress.  I would love to be my husband for a day.  Curiosity is the motive here.  It would be nice to have a deeper understanding

Q: Would you rather be a kid or an adult, and why?
A:  An adult, because at times I was a shy, awkward, uncomfortable and scared kid.

Q:  What is your favorite charity, and why?
A:  Save the Children because for $1 a day you can help children around the globe.
Click here


Q:  What do you think is your greatest strength?
A:  Time management and goal setting.  If it needs to get done, I will do it.  If I have a goal, I will do everything possible to accomplish it.



Here are my 11 Bloggers to pass on the Sharing Sunshine Award.  

These bloggers inspire me everyday and yet I don't believe that they realize it.  These are bloggers that I have not connected with and hope that this activity might start a conversation.  After all they will be sharing 11 random facts with us.



Here are 11 questions for you to answer, but remember to first give 11 random facts about yourself.  Then pass it on. 

1.  What is your happiest memory?
2.  What scares you the most and why?
3.  Where do you like to go to have fun?
4.  If you could change one thing about education, what would it be?
5.  What do you think is the single best decision you've made in your life so far?
6.  What is your greatest strength?
7.  Who is someone that you admire and why?
8.  What is the hardest thing you have ever had to do?
9.  What is your favorite technology device and why?
10.  What is one thing that really bothers you or drives you crazy?
11.  Tell something you've never done that you would like to do.

Here's how this chain letter of inspiration works:

1.  Acknowledge the nominating blogger and let them know when you complete your blog post.
2.  Share 11 random facts about yourself.
3.  Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
4.  List 11 bloggers.
5.  Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer, and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated.  Don't nominate a blogger who has nominated you.
6.  Embed linds and visuals that personalize the post.

Comments

Judy said…
Thanks for sharing. It was interesting to find out whom you selected to share the sunshine. Now, I need to get in touch with some of the people you listed. A few, I already follow on Twitter, and in some cases, read their blogs.

Popular posts from this blog

Concrete Poetry Sites - This Is So Much Fun!

A Personal Story - My Healthy Journey of 2015