Kids + iPads = Creators

This past week I witnessed what happens when you give students an iPad and let them use that iPad however they choose (during our Friday Supreme time).  What I found interesting is that the students weren't so much interested in playing the games installed on the iPad, but instead they wanted to create videos showing interviews with their classmates and teachers.  They really got into the task and created some great videos.  Several students also wanted to take photos, edit the photos, and use the photos to create a collage.





Many times we think that the iPad is all about installing the latest games, but I'm discovering that it's more about the apps that allow for productivity or creation that the students are most interested in using.  I credit this to the students witnessing me, the teacher, using the iPad to create video tutorials and lessons for our class.  


As I was browsing my Google Reader, I discovered this post by Ed Tech Teacher that sums up what I'm trying to say.  Using an iPad effectively in the classroom is all about designing user-centered, student-centered technology-integration projects. 



The model they use is called CRCD Frameworks.  This stands for Collect, Relate, Create and Donate.  You can read more about this model here.


I especially appreciate the huge collection of apps in the blog post that promote the CRCD Framework.   Check out all of the categories they have listed apps for:




My goal is to help students use our iPads in a productive way that allows them to be creators of their own content.  And there are a lot of apps to do just that.  Now I just need to find a way to get more iPads in our classroom.  We have two iPads with cameras for 26 students.  Time to beg, borrow or . . . 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Concrete Poetry Sites - This Is So Much Fun!

A Personal Story - My Healthy Journey of 2015